FiveThirtyEight is recruiting a Art and design intern for summer and fall. Are you someone who enjoys using photography, illustration, and design to tell a compelling story? Are you considering a career in visual journalism? The Art and Design Intern will work with the Senior Designer and Story Editors at FiveThirtyEight to make our stories as visually compelling as they are well researched and written. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with an interest in editorial design to have an outsized impact on a small team.
This paid internship will run approximately from May/June 2022 to January 2023 and can be fully remote if you live outside of the New York area. Current students at accredited colleges or universities are eligible, as are recent graduates who were enrolled in at least one course in the semester prior to the start of the internship.
The art and design intern can work up to 40 hours per week (with some flexibility in the schedule, if needed).
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and link to your website or portfolio through the Disney Careers portal. Even if you don’t tick all the boxes below, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible! If you have any questions about this role, please email Emily Scherer, Senior Designer.
- Researching, cropping and writing photo captions for stories
- Apply stylistic treatments to photos to create visually cohesive artistic elements for stories in a series (e.g. World Cup updates)
- Thinking about the order and pacing of images in a story to find the best way to keep our readers engaged throughout
- Create custom illustrations to liven up daily stories and news reports
- Help put stories together in WordPress and provide ideas for titles and other display text to ensure all elements of the piece work well together
- Collaborate with other FiveThirtyEight teams on video and interactive projects
- Interest in pursuing a career in graphic design, art direction, photo editing and/or illustration
- Experience in visual arts or photojournalism at the college level
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Kindness and enthusiasm for collaboration
- Familiarity with and interest in politics, sports and/or science in the United States
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, After Effects and/or WordPress
ABC News and FiveThirtyEight are equal opportunity employers. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.